Awesome Autumn Almond Flour Keto Crackers
Note: These crackers are definitely keto-friendly, possibly paleo if you count almond flour as paleo. I won’t tell if you don’t. Makes enough crackers to serve 4-5 hungry people (about 30 medium-sized crackers).
- 2 cups Fine almond flour (not coarse almond flour or almond meal) (240g)
- 2 tbsp. Ground flaxseeds (22g)
- 6 tbsp. Water
- 1/2 tsp. Sea salt or to taste
- Optional 1 tbsp. (or to taste) black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or hulled sunflower kernels to mix in
Optional spices (can add to taste):
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder or onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Chili or cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add all ingredients (including optional spices, if using, and optional sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower kernels if you are mixing them in) to a large mixing bowl, then stir with a silicone spatula until the “dough” reaches a consistent texture (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- Shape dough into a ball, then set aside for 10 minutes at room temp.
- Place dough ball onto a piece of non-stick parchment paper, shape into a rectangle with your hands, and place another piece of parchment on top. (It should not be sticky–if it is, add 1 tsp. at a time of extra ground flaxseed, mix in, and set aside for 5 minutes for it to absorb excess water. Repeat until it’s not sticky.)
- Roll with a roller until dough is flat, consistent, and around 1/10 inch to 1/8 inch thick. You can also make thicker crackers, but they may not get as crispy and will take longer to cook.
- Cut into rectangles or other desired shapes using a knife or pizza cutter (try wetting the knife or cutter with water first if you have issues with sticking). If you are adding sesame seeds or sunflower kernels, now is the time to put them on top of the crackers and press in.
- Separate the crackers slightly to allow even crisping during cooking, then place the parchment paper with cut out crackers onto a baking tray and place into the oven.
- Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes. Check at 15 minutes, then every 3-5 minutes after that. When the sides are golden and crispy, your crackers are finished. The crackers on the edges may cook faster, so you can remove them first.
- Allow them to begin cooling on a cooling rack. They’ll harden and become more crispy as they cool.
- Serve or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days. No need to refrigerate.