Is Exercise More Important Than Diet

9N9A6317The media has been inundated lately with news not many want to hear. The “magical formula” to weight loss does not lie primarily with exercise. Moving your body and challenging your heart is of the utmost importance for your general health and well being, but if you want to lose weight, the new BUZZ formula for success is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I’m not a formula guy or a diet guru, but I know when people eat the right amount of quality food that’s been responsibly raised and sustainably sourced, they look and feel better. I’ve been telling my athletes for years, “You can’t out train a bad diet.” If your goal is to lose weight, what you eat is more important than how much you move.

HOW LONG?
I believe exercise and diet go hand in hand when trying to achieve optimum health. I strive to get one hour of exercise, 5 days a week. Add that to running around with my kids and playing sports and I feel fit. My wife Kristen loves her 30 minutes of interval training 4-5 times a week with friends. The American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 days a week. The key is to finding something you enjoy that works in your lifestyle.

THE STATE OF THE UNION
Americans are more active than ever before, yet the obesity rate has reached an all-time high. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 36% of Americans are obese and 70% of adults over 20 years old are overweight. Those numbers have to change if we want our kids and grandkids to enjoy long and healthy lives.

I believe Americans are on the verge of making the food-health connection with the recent demands for quality and transparency from BIG FOOD. If the small guys like me and other real food advocates continue to educate about eating real food in reasonable portions, I hope more people will find success.

SHOP SMART
Affordable healthy food options aren’t hard to find, you just need to look. Trader Joe’s owns ALDI, a chain of 10,000 grocery stores in 18 countries delivering organic options and a full line of gluten-free products to the masses for a fraction of the cost. Opting for frozen fruits and veggies are another way to get nutrients without breaking the bank. When selecting protein, remember chicken and turkey are more cost effective than beef, but there’s almost always cuts of red meat on sale.

PALEO SNACKS
By the time people find Steve’s PaleoGoods, most are committed to a paleo diet. Most of our customers are looking for clean paleo snack options to eat on-the-go, and my team is proud to meet that need with offerings like Paleo Stix and Paleo Kits. Think of our PaleoGoods as a staple in your backpack for those busy days when time does not permit food prep. Our products are very cost effective when compared to purchasing clean snacks on the go at convenience stores. Options are limited and often over priced.

SET UP YOUR SUCCESS
Diets fail when people are without a plan. If you are always armed with a good choice, it’s hard to make a bad one when hunger sets in. If the current BUZZ is 80% diet and 20% exercise, I’m going to start a new BUZZ for those already at a healthy weight. Prepare yourself for healthy eating 80% of the time. The other 20%? Enjoy dining out and gathering with family and friends by making the best choices available.

As always in life, the best percentage prescription is the one that works for YOU.

Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 11.00.15 AM



Leave a Comment