OH. MY. GOOD. How amazing does this look? Many, many thanks to Sarah Spealler for sharing this recipe with us. She used our Chocolate Hazelnutbutter to make this cake for her husband Chris Spealler’s birthday and it turned out beautifully. Try it out for yourselves!
4 large eggs
¾ cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
¾ cup coconut sugar
½ cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
½ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 jar of Chocolate Hazelnut PaleoNutButter (Steve’s Paleo Goods)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and coconut sugar.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Mix dry ingredients into wet with a handheld mixer
4. Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips
5. Do steps 1-4 for the second cake layer.
6. Grease two 9.5″ glass pie dish with coconut oil.
7. Pour batter into both dishes, then sprinkle shredded coconut and some chocolate chips on top.
8. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes
9. Cool for 1 hour
10. After completely cool, it’s time to assemble. Using a knife go around the edges of each pie dish. Place a cooling rack over one of the dishes and flip it upside down. Do the same thing for the other.
11. Option 1 for the middle of the cake: Get a generous amount of @stevespaleogoods chocolate hazelnut paleo nut butter on a knife and cover the top side of one cake. Option 2 for the middle of the cake: Get a generous amount of paleo frosting on a knife and cover the top side of one cake. (I used the frosting to layer the cake and it did not disappoint.)
12. Once the top is frosted place the second layer of cake on top of the other. I used two spatulas turners for this.
13. Frost the top and sides of cake.
14. Garnish the top with shredded coconut, @stevespaleogoods Cinnamon Pecan Paleonuts, and your favorite berries.
15. Devour! I made this for @cspealler’s birthday and we LOVED the leftovers! Store in the fridge so the icing doesn’t melt.
PALEO CHOCOLATE FROSTING
Ingredients & Supplies
Yield: 3 cups of frosting, enough for one 9″ double layer cake or 15-18 cupcakes.
2 Cups Solid Coconut Oil (Not Melted)
1 Cup Honey
1 Cup Cocoa Powder
1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
Food Processor Or Blender