There are recipes for Paleo cookies and then there are recipes for cookies that make you ask, “Wait, that’s Paleo?!” These are definitely the latter of the two.
Our great friend Juli, over at PaleOMG, posted this recipe for her new Soft & Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies on her blog and we are just smitten!
And when you make these delectable treats, you’re gonna think “Man, I wish she had an entire book of recipes this good!” Well guess what, she’s already got one….AND a new one coming out on June 10th that she co-authored with George at Civilized Caveman Cooking!! The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy In Modern Cooking is a gorgeously photographed collection of tasty Paleo recipes that you’ll be running to constantly.
Almost as much as we ran back to the kitchen to steal these cookies off the cooling rack 🙂
- 1 cup thick almond butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, mix together almond butter and coconut sugar using a large spoon. Then add egg and mix again until well combined.
- Add ¼ cup of cocoa powder at a time. At this point, I used my hands to incorporate the cocoa powder into the dough. Add all the cocoa powder and completely combine.
- Then add baking soda, vanilla, salt and chocolate chips and combined until everything is well mixed. This was all hands for me. It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it. (This should be a very thick dough at this point. If it’s not, you need a thicker almond butter like I said before).
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out around 2 tablespoons of dough and make into a round ball. Place on silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. This dough will create 13-15 cookies that size.
- Once you’ve placed all the balled dough onto the baking sheet, use a fork to press the cookies down just slightly. No need to really flatten them out, just get them to look more cookie shape instead of ball shape. If you press them down too much, they’ll come apart when they bake so be careful.
- Place baking sheet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes until removing from baking sheet to place on cooling rack. If you try to remove these from the baking sheet early, they will come apart.