Is there really such a thing as too much dip? We don’t think so! Unfortunately, Paleo-friendly dips are rarely found at BBQs, birthday parties and family dinners. While veggie and fruit plates are often a staple, we’re stuck with junk-filled dips that aren’t good for us, despite being delicious. The Healthy Foodie solves this problem for us with her Olive Artichoke and Spinach dip.
She says it herself: be careful, or your might find yourself eating it with a spoon, because it really is that good!
Everyone loves Spinach and Artichoke dip, but this recipe adds green and black olives, almonds and fresh spinach for a unique twist on a crowd favorite.
- 500g fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 wedge preserved lemons (or make your own), chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Primal Kitchen Mayo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Chop the spinach roughly and then place it in a large microwave safe bowl. Cook on high, uncovered, for about 4 minutes or until completely wilted and then set aside to cool. When it’s cool enough to be handled, squeeze it with your hands to extract as much water as you can from it and set aside.
- In a dry skillet set over medium heat, toast the almonds until slightly colored and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Kill the heat and set aside to cool until you can safely handle the nuts with your bare hands.
- Put the toasted almonds in the bowl of your food processor and pulse a few quick times to chop them roughly.
- Add green and black olives as well as chopped preserved lemon and pulse a few times until all the ingredients are well combined and evenly chopped.
- Add the canned artichokes and pulse 3 or 4 times, just to break them down a little bit.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the spinach, mayo, minced garlic, pepper flakes, black pepper and nutmeg and stir gently with a spoon, until well combined.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- This dip will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.