What’s better than fudge at the holidays? It’s one of my favorite holiday treats, but between the sugar and the dairy it’s a no-go when you’re trying to stick to a Paleo-style diet. That’s where this Date Sweetened Paleo Peppermint Fudge comes in! With no added sugar (not even in the chocolate) you’re getting a wholesome treat that you can feel good about! It’s fuel, not candy 😉
By using dates instead of traditional sugar you’ll be offsetting the natural sugars with a bit of fiber, magnesium, and potassium. Whole foods for the win!
This recipe couldn’t be easier and it makes the richest fudge you’ve ever had. You’ll start by soaking a half pound of deglet dates in boiling water. I do this right in my blender to save on dishes. Then you’ll melt the chocolate and coconut oil together over low heat. Drain the water from the dates then add everything to the blender and give it a whirl.
You’ll end up with a super thick and glossy fudge batter that you can now spread into a baking dish lined with parchment paper for easy clean-up. I won’t judge if you eat a spoonful or two of the batter.
You can chill the fudge in either the freezer or the refrigerator before slicing but you’ll want to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Date Sweetened Paleo Peppermint Fudge
Prep: 5 minutes
Chill: 1 hour
Yields: 16 pieces
- ½ lb deglet dates
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 6 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place the dates in a blender and cover with boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes, then drain.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together over low heat or in the microwave in 15-second intervals. Add the mixture to the drained dates along with the remaining ingredients. Blend until very smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 1 hour, then slice into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.