There are hundreds, if not thousands of variations on chicken salad (just do a quick Google search if you don’t believe me) but out of all of those different chicken salads this may just be one of a kind. Here’s a little quiz…are these Cranberry Chicken Salad Stuffed Apples:
- A) delicious
- B) easy to prepare
- C) perfect for on the go (just like an apple)
- D) all of the above
If you guessed D you are today’s lucky winner, so go ahead and treat yourself to one of these beauties.
The hardest part about this recipe is hollowing out the apples, which isn’t very difficult at all. Just be sure to hollow it out enough so that you are getting a good ratio of chicken salad and apple with each bite. And of course you can eat it like a normal person with a fork, but then you’ll have dishes to wash, and where’s the fun in that? Also, if it’s available to you, be sure to grab organic apples for this recipe as they are a notorious member of the dirty dozen.
The sweetness of the apple, mixed with the tartness of the dried cranberries pair wonderfully with the creamy chicken salad. Not only does it taste fantastic, it is also a great mix of protein, fat, and carbs all coming from natural, unprocessed sources. This chicken salad works perfect for lunches and dinners, if you can keep it cool try taking a few hiking, or eat one after a hard workout, or just as an afternoon snack.
Cranberry Chicken Salad Stuffed Apples
- 1 lb cooked Steve’s chicken breast, shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 green onions, minced
- ½ cup Steve’s dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the apple. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Hollow out the apples by slicing a circle around the top and using a spoon to scoop out the middle and all seeds. Fill with chicken salad and serve.