Breakfast can sometimes get boring between scrambled eggs, sunny side-up eggs, and the occasional granola bar that always seems to be on repeat. These upgraded Paleo Chocolate Hazelnut Stuffed Pancakes are anything but boring and we all know how the old adage goes, it’s what on the inside that counts, and with these pancakes that is more true than ever before. Slicing into these fluffy pancakes and watching the gooey goodness flow out is the perfect way to start your day.
Typically just looking at a breakfast like this one would be enough to raise your blood sugar, but this version is surprisingly low in sugar, especially considering how decadent it really is. The previous statement all depends on how heavy your hand is with the syrup, but there is so much flavor packed into every bite, you might decide to forego the syrup and garnish with some sliced fruit instead. In the pictures, you’ll see strawberries, but it would be just as delicious with cherries, peaches, coconut, or any of your other favorite fruits.
Another great thing about this breakfast idea is to pop them in the fridge and let the filling solidify. That way when you are eating the leftovers, if you have any, it’s like a candy bar in a pancake, without all the junk that you’d traditionally find in a candy bar. Candy bar pancakes? Count me IN! As always the Chocolate Hazelnut Nut Butter is free from junky oils and loads of sugar, meaning this is one extravagant breakfast you won’t have to feel guilty about!
Next time you want to make an over the top breakfast (or breakfast for dinner) for your kids or that special someone, prepare these without them watching, and enjoy the look of surprise and satisfaction on their face as they dig into the deliciousness.
Paleo Chocolate Hazelnut Stuffed Pancakes
Yields: 8 pancakes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 16 tablespoons Chocolate Hazelnut Nut Butter
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Strawberries, for serving
- Star by rolling out the disks of the Chocolate Hazelnut Nut Butter. Scoop out 2 tablespoons and place on a piece of parchment paper, spread into a 3” circle. Repeat 8 times. Freeze until solid, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Prepare the pancake batter by blending all ingredient in a blender on high speed until fully combined.
- Heat a non-stick ceramic pan over medium low heat. Add a bit of coconut oil and add ¼ cup of batter to the pan. Place a frozen disk of nut butter on top and add 1-2 tablespoons of batter the the top to cover. Cook 1-2 minutes until the batter starts to bubble and gently flip. Cook another minute or two longer until the batter is cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Stack the pancakes with the sliced strawberries and serve.