Sauerkraut: the word comes from German, basically “acidic” + “cabbage” and it’s darn good for your body. Did you know that sauerkraut is a probiotic wonderhouse that can help you with many things from digestive problems to reducing your risk of developing depression or Alzheimer’s?
Every day, scientists are uncovering more information how our gut health is tied to other areas of health in the body so if you care about your body and your performance, it’s time to work sauerkraut (and its cousin, kimchi) into your daily diet. Here are 14 ways you may not have thought of!
- As a topping on your burger.
- As a condiment to any meal. Put a jar on your table (bring it out early so it’s not too cold when you eat it) and add it to any dish. Experiment!
- Stuff half an avocado with it. Instant snack!
- Add it to a bowl of pasta.
- Making a green smoothie? Add 1-2 tablespoons of kraut. You won’t even taste it in there.
- Add it to your salad.
- Toss it on your avocado toast.
- Add it to your homemade coleslaw.
- Add it to your lunch wrap (or your burrito!)
- Top your scrambled eggs with a scoop of sauerkraut.
- Chop it up and add to potato salad.
- Top your pierogis or gnocchi with sauerkraut.
- Eating a bowl of ramen or udon? Top it with kimchi!
- The old favorite: on top of a sausage or hot dog.
And, remember, when you get to the end of the sauerkraut jar, if there’s any juice left, don’t waste it. Drink it! Good for your health. Prost!